Saturday, September 13, 2008

Medical Training

Teresa and I taught a 2 day medical course based on the book "Where there is no Doctor" for the new teachers with Children's Cup. We taught them basic human anatomy, how to identify simple illnesses like scabies, and how to help us identify which children may need HIV testing.


Teresa and I had a wonderful time tag teaching and getting to know all the new teachers. It was such a great experience to learn more about Swazi culture and I was able to get a glimpse into their experiences with HIV in the community.


All the teachers where quick learners and I appreciated getting to know them all. I loved sitting with them and listening to their stories. A part of me feel as if I got just as much knowledge from them as they got from the course.

THINGS I LEARNED DURING THE MEDICAL CLASS:


1. The Swazi Heimlich Maneuver for a boy who is choking is to hit him in his privates until he coughs up whatever he is choking on.


2. Dirt is it's own food group...people eat it all the time.


3. If someone is bleeding and you don't have any gloves then you should use grocery bags to protect your hands instead.



Here is the class of new teachers Teresa and I taught the medical course too.
We had class in the waiting room of the clinic.

I have officially taken over the clinic. I have appreciated Teresa's help and input...I will be able to call her for help and wisdom. She may regret letting me know I can call her cause I'll be calling her a ton with questions! ;)
Thanks you Teresa for your help and for continually being there as someone I can call and talk with about anything. I know you have been there and appreciate your support and encouraging words. God bless you! Love ya Teresa!

No comments: