Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gogo Sanmaria



A couple of weeks ago Gogo Sanmaria came to church with her neighbors Solomon and Precious. Solomon and Precious had just moved from South Africa and had befriended this gogo (grandma). She had been fighting an ear infection for a couple of weeks so Zinty and KB went with me after church to her homestead. I had already given Solomon a weeks worth of antibiotics earlier that week to help with her ear infection.


I brought my medical bag with a blood pressure cuff, otoscope, and Tylenol to assess Gogo Sanmaria. Zinty, KB, and I drove down some steep dirt roads and came upon her homestead. She was sitting on the ground as we came up to her with her grandson clean dishes on a metal sheet that was modified to work as a sink sending the water down the hill.
I did my nursing thing discovering that her ear infection was still present. I gave her some Tylenol for the ear pain and her constant arthritis. I instructed her through Zinty to continue to take the full dose of antibiotics that Precious was helping her take daily and to take the Tylenol once in the morning and once in the afternoon for pain.

There wasn't much I could do medically to help her BUT I could love her and show her she care and mattered. The fact is that I can't do much on my own BUT the Lord comes through and shows His love in a mighty way when we obey what He has called us to do.
Gogo Sanmaria now complains of no more pain and I'm hoping her ear infection has gone away. Gogo Sanmaria is a light in this community feeding kids who go without food when she can.
This is one of many stories of the experiences I'm having in Swaziland. As I continue to get on my feet and settle in what I'm doing I'll be sharing more of my experience with the Swazi people and the Lord.
Thanks for all your love and support and prayers!
I could not be here without you!
Love ya all!

No comments: