Monday, March 3, 2008

Sex, Sushi, and Salvation

Did I catch your eye with the title? ;D

I periodically will walk the shelves of Borders aimlessly wandering with no clear goal in mind. It's a time I can escape and be caught in my own thoughts as I browse books I'll never buy.

At random I blindly pulled the book "Sex, Sushi, and Salvation" out among the masses of books on one of my Borders escapades the other day. The title caught me off guard. As I glanced behind my back to see if anyone was around who could see the title of the book in my hand, I thought to myself, "I'm in the Christian section, ya?"

I read the first couple of pages becoming lost within the book. I was hooked.

The author, Christian George, a young mid 20's something wrote his thoughts on intimacy, community and eternity. He is a vivid writer painting an authentic world of beauty among the grit and grime.

I've been searching for a book that talks of my generation and our desire for anything authentic no matter what the cost, the good mixed in with the bad.
I related when he wrote about how our generation at times wants God but wants nothing of the Church. He talked of the dangers of being, in a sense, a decapatated Body of Christ. He also wrote a great chapter on worship.

There is so much I would love to share from this book, so much that I'm continuing to digest and mull over.


In the chapter entitled "Back to the Future" he is talks about Heaven and how we must look back at what God has done for us as we walk forward with Him. Community with God is what we seek...

"But heaven will be better than that. Instead of having an inner itching for sinful behavior, we'll yearn and burn for Christ. God will suck the poison from His people, and we'll be consumed with a passion for worship. We will applaud God for redeeming us, pulsing and praising His name... Heaven will be a place where Christians adore the Christ who sacrificed Himself to satisfy the deepest longings of our hearts.
For now, we are pilgrims in a land that is not our home. We press on toward our final destination as strangers on this earth. Instead of living for the weekend or partying your life away, give yourself to something great. Abandon the American dream of health and wealth and risk your life for the kingdom of God. Let's pray a little harder and love a little more. There are already too many wasted lives in this world. Nothing is more gratifying than soaking up the Savior and splashing others with His glory. Nothing is so rewarding as sleeping with a clean and forgiven conscience. C.S. Lewis wrote, "We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us." Why settle for less than perfect communication with Christ? Why settle for Hershey's Kisses when the chocolate factory is ours for the eating?" An excerpt from "Sex, Sushi and Salvation".

Check it out!

Pick one up for yourself and continue to explore the vastness of our God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it... and you....
~Tori

Anonymous said...

Have you read "Revolution" by George Barna? I think it helps explain what so many Christians are experiencing right now...

Jessa Bo said...

No I haven't. Now I'm going to have to go find a copy and read it.
Thanks for telling me about the book!

Stacy said...

That's a great book.

Though I hate the girly cover they put on it. Christian George is so intellectual and well read, and they give his book a chick lit cover? It seems they went after the wrong audience.