Sunday, December 2, 2007

Learning to Hear the Call of God

I found a book in my parents basement that someone had given to me but I never started reading.
You could say that it was a God thing that I found it cause I'm not usually down in my parents basement any more. If it hadn't been for the stubborn cat that was hiding from me I might have never spotted it ;)
Bless her dear little heart...

The book is compiled of two of Oswald Chambers books on service and the mission field. They are "So Send I You" and "Workmen of God". The chapters are shorter so you can read a chapter a day and use it kinda like a devotional.
Highly recommended if you are searching for your calling, excited and thirst about the things of God, or if you are feeling called to a lifestyle of service and/or missions, whether in your backyard or to the ends of the earth!

Oswald Chambers begins by using Isaiah 6:3-9 as an example of how God calls us into His service. Isaiah was in the presence of God and he overheard the heart of God.

"God does not have to come and tell me what I must do for Him; He brings me into a relationship with Himself where in I hear His call and understand what He wants me to do, and I do it our of sheer love to Him."

--Oswald Chambers in "So Send I You"

The call of God is not necessarily a specific lightening bolt, "This is what I want you to do". It is when we are in His presence and He is calling us to serve Him we see the clarity of what He is calling us all to do...to serve Him. Everyone will serve Him in unique yet unified ways as God has made us the Body of Christ.

"When people say they have had a call to foreign service, or to any particular sphere of work, they mean that their relationship to God has enabled them to realize what they can do for God. Their natural fitting for service and the call of God is identified as one in them."

--Oswald Chamber in "So Send I You"

How amazingly freeing is our LORD? How blessed we are to have a God that loves and cares for us! I wish to continue to dive more into this amazing relationship with my God!

It can be so tempting some times to say with pride and a condescending tone, "Well I am called to be a missionary to Africa" or even people replying how super spiritual you are for being a missionary in the scary jungles of Africa (as if the "country" aka continent of Africa is one scary jungle with ginormous hairy spiders and crazy poisonous snakes...well, maybe they're right about the spiders and snakes, but Africa is a very diverse continent with many different kinds of climates ;). The thing is that when we are in a relationship with Him and following His lead, He calls us all and takes us to where He wants us...that which brings Him glory. There is nothing more spiritual if your ministering in Africa vs being a stay at home mom vs working at a coffee shop vs teaching Sunday School to 3rd graders.

Praise the Lord! Seek Him! Dig deep into a relationship with Him. Dwell in His presence. Serve Him in the ways He has called and gifted you.
Love God, love people...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding Roxy for me while I was in Cayucos. I knew she was hiding somewhere in that 1,200 square foot mess. That's so cool that you found your book. I loved your comments about it and it makes me want to read it too. Love, Mom